My name is Jason and this blog is about bikes and biking, plain and simple. I don't claim to be a gear head, a former pro, a hipster or an afficionado. I just like to ride my bicycle.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sub 20 Degree Day

Despite the conflicting weather reports between the radio and tv, there could be no denying that this morning was a cold one. I generally tend to run a bit on the warm side, so these cold days don't bother me too much. Still with temps hovering just under 20 degrees, its good to recheck the layers to make sure nothing gets too chlled. On days like today preparation for riding in the elements goes a long way and can make the difference between an enjoyable ride and a near hypothermic experience.  Here's the list of gear I used for today's ride:
  • Long underwear top and bottoms
  • Pair of canvas pants (I don't commute in bike shorts...it just doesn't seem necessary to me and this way I get by without the expense of having wearing out multiple pairs of bike shorts)
  • Gore Windstopper bike jacket
  • Manzanella Ranch Hand gloves w/ liners
  • Mountain Hardware skull cap.
I typically can get away with this level of clothing for most 20-40 degree days. If its closer to 40 I generally don't use long underwear bottoms and just get by with pants. With temps just on the cusp of that range today, I figured they'd be necessary but didn't feel like going to extremes. My threshold is generally positive temperatures. If the temp drops below 0 degrees Fahrenheit then I'm typically on the bus with my bike hoping for a warmer afternoon (which thankfully in Denver usually happens.) On these really cold days I'll beef up my wardrobe in order to stay comfortable.
  • Long underwear top and bottoms
  • Canvas pants if I feel brave, but generally a ski pant or rain shell
  • Mountain Hardware technical jacket
  • Black Diamond alpine gloves
  • Skull cap
  • Nose and mouth mask
  • Shoe covers
With this level of protection I've been reasonably comfortable at -5, but the level of mobility and cumbersomeness of the layers makes the riding more difficult. Still, if the goal is to ride in all conditions this type of layering certainly will help towards accomplishing that. In the end, my general rule of thumb is: if I would pay to go ski in weather this cold, I ought to be able to ride my bike.  That being said, here's hoping it warms up a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment