My name is Jason and this blog is about bikes and biking, plain and simple. I don't claim to be a gear head, a former pro, a hipster or an afficionado. I just like to ride my bicycle.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Its What One May Call: An Error In Judgment

Living and working where I do affords me ample options for riding to and from work. I have routes which amble through quiet neighborhoods providing a traffic free, comfortable easy commute. I can access wide main roads with bike lanes for quick, purposeful commuting. I can meander about (particularly when the construction on the nearby light rail is finished) and hit bike paths and parks barely getting on the road at all. Suffice it to say I have options, and one of the key aspects of being a seasoned and skilled bike commuter is knowing which option to pick at the right time.

I got out of work a bit later tonight than previous nights and missed the opportunity to ride in the pale light of dusk. Together with the warmish temperature and nearly full moon I thought it might be worth taking one of my routes out 23rd past Sloan’s Lake through Edgewater. I rode close to this route yesterday but had more daylight so I stuck to the main road, 26th, and went the more direct route. I generally don’t mind riding on 26th, even in the dark, but thought the trek out 25th by the lake would be scenic and more enjoyable; not to mention involve less traffic. The warm weather helped to soften the layer of ice and snow on some of the side streets making the ride up from 17th to 23rd a bit trickier. I knew this bit would be snowy from yesterday’s ride but did not anticipate it being quite so slushy and rutted. But this part of the ride is short, so undeterred I continued on my merry way. Twenty-third was clear and offered an open bike lane all the way to Sloan’s Lake. Heading around Sloan’s Lake I found the condition of 25th to be a little less to my liking. Spots of somewhat melted ice and snow mixed with patches of firmer ice and tire tracks; much like what I saw earlier in my ride but frustratingly with an open southern exposure. This road should have been clear. I nearly lost it a handful of times and eventually settled for riding in the opposite lane of traffic (no one uses that road so it is safe, trust me). Getting to Sheridan I had options to bail on my present course, but stubbornness prevailed (one of my better traits) and I continued westward on 25th.

The heavier traffic on 25th through Edgewater helped to make this route less treacherous than the road around the park. Still, the homes and trees along 25th helped to block much of the day’s sunlight leaving a faint, icy mess behind. I pieced together as many solid stretches of pavement as possible while navigating through the continents of ice and slush strewn across the street. At this point the pace of my progress and level of frustration started to eat away at my stubbornness ever so slightly; certainly not enough to change my path…but enough to cause me to realize the error of my ways. All I needed to do was make it past the church at the end of 25th and cut up to 26th where I knew the road would be clear and safe for easy bike travel. I gave a guy in an old Toyota 4 Runner a show as I demonstrated my superior bike handling skills on this last little stretch: “Get that knee out, balance! Brake, pedal, shit, go, stop, knee…” Some weaving, a bit of wobbling and I coasted up to the stop at 26th ready to head left. Safe and sound yet again, I have to say that in hindsight I probably could have selected an easier route. However having successfully navigated a mess that should have easily dropped me on my ass more than a couple times I have to admit there’s part of me that feels a bit proud to have pedaled my way through without dropping a foot or my head onto the ground. One of these days maybe I’ll demonstrate better judgment up front and save myself the trouble…or I’ll just get bigger tires and subsequently an even bigger head.

No comments:

Post a Comment